Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Changing the World...One Bead at a Time

We have a very active rosary ministry in our parish. In 2006, these ladies made and gave away close to 10,000 rosaries (yes that is correct—the number has four zeroes). One of their members makes rosaries for the babies baptized at the church, another serves our military with the rosaries she makes, many others make rosaries for the sick (they are constructed completely of plastic beads and cord so they don’t show up during medical procedures such as CT scans). As their coordinator, Annie-Alex Nathenson says, “with our hands, we are changing the world, one rosary at a time.”

In addition to coordinating the rosary ministry, Annie-Alex makes some of the most exquisite rosaries for purchase that I have ever seen. Many of them are made to commemorate special occasions, such as a wedding, first communion, or the birth of a child. She also makes friendship rosaries, angel rosaries, and theme rosaries. Each and every one of her rosaries is enclosed in a lovely lace or net bag drawn up with a drawstring. When you see one, you feel the urge to pick it up, and having done so, you feel drawn to prayer. Annie-Alex has a special gift for making rosaries. She attributes it to Our Blessed Mother. She dedicates herself to Mary’s work and consistently reminds others to give thanks for the special gifts they have received through her intercession. (If you want to see some samples of Annie-Alex’s work, you can check out her Web site at: http://beadstoblessings.com/.)

Recently, I gave Annie-Alex a box of my grandmother’s costume jewelry. I figured she might find some use for it with all of the rosaries she makes. She called me a short time later to tell me she had left something for me at the office up at the church. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that, from my grandmother’s jewelry, Annie had made me a rosary. It brings me such comfort when I pray on that rosary, and I think my grandmother would have enjoyed knowing that her pretty things have been transformed into something that moves others to prayer. If you have any leftover jewelry, you may wish to consider putting it to good use like Annie-Alex does. Better yet, send it to her. When you belong to a group that makes 10,000 rosaries in a year, you may need something with which to work!
Submitted by Sheila Setter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home